June 29, 2008

Antelope Canyon

Shake the sand out of your boots, the Southwest USA tour continues on to Antelope Canyon!

Antelope Canyon is one of the most visited and photographed slot canyons in the desert southwest. It is located on Navajo land outside of Page, Arizona. There are two separate sections that can be visited: the Upper Antelope Canyon and the Lower Antelope Canyon. Erosion of the Navajo sandstone, primarily due to flash flooding, carves out the walls. As a result, the rock passageways have a delicate flowing character.

We endured a wild ride in the back of a jeep to visit the upper canyon and received a sandblasting facial along the way. We had brought cloth sacks with us to put our cameras in during the ride, and we were glad that we did! Except for his driving, we enjoyed our patient and knowledgeable Navajo tour guide.

our tour guide, a gentle soul with a photogenic face
entrance to the upper canyon

The canyon walls were a challenge to photograph without a tripod, but we managed to take some hauntingly beautiful pictures. Being immersed in the swirling walls of sandstone was like being transported to another world, filled with Indian spirits. This magical place was one of the highlights of our entire trip.

indescribable beauty, just a few paces within the canyon
tumbleweeds blown in from previous storms
light dances across the canyon walls

a rock sanctuary

What will be the next adventure topic? Glen Canyon Dam!

14 comments:

  1. What an absolutely stunning place. Must have felt very spiritual there too.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous! I have always wanted to take photos like those. I thought you had to go to Bryce Canyon for shots like these. Would it be hard to carry a tripod in there? Absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Cindra! I was excited that most of my pictures came out good because I was really sweating the lack of light! You could certainly take a tripod in there. We weren't traveling with one, so we had to make do and get our settings right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sharon! It was a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with these photos! You did fabulous..
    I would love to run my fingers down the tour guides face..
    I know that probably sounds weird. LoL
    I can't help it. He just looks so neat. And the lines that run down his face..need to be traced.
    The canyons..Wow! That must have been so amazing to see such beauty.
    You are lucky my friend.
    xoxo Nita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Nita! I know what you mean about the tour guide. I kept staring at him because it was like his face told a multitude of stories. Wish I could have had him pose for pictures for an afternoon.

    The slot canyon was spectacular. I had seen pictures of ones before and it was hard to believe that I was finally able to see and experience one. Truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! The colors are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful place.

    The guide reminds me of Willie Nelson, the lines on his face, the hair. I wonder if he sings!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love that last photo especially. A scene from another world!!! Great photos!!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Donna. I love that last picture too. That spot is photographed a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Sally for your kind words. We had the only guide who was Indian and the bus driver told us to be sure to hop into his Jeep. We're glad we did! Not sure if he could sing, LOL, but he had a wonderful speaking voice to go along with the face. He looked like he walked right from a movie set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photos, the colouring is amazing, magical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Lynette! I've got more photos to share of amazing places in the weeks ahead. So I hope you come back to visit again!

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!